Two North Riverside Plaza, 9:00am -2:00pm
The Plaza Project’s celebration of National Food Day kicks-off with an educational Poetry Slam by Pilot Light Founders, Chefs Paul Kahan and Jason Hammel, and concludes with exclusive offerings from Chicago’s famed taqueria, Big Star. The day-of festivities will be packed with cooking demos, urban agricultural tutorials and more – all in an effort to build awareness around healthy and sustainable eating.
The festivities will celebrate and increase awareness about healthy, affordable and sustainably produced food in effort to support the greater Food Day Chicago and National Food Day mission.
- 9:30am - Pilot Light interactive poetry slam lesson: ‘I Am What I Eat’
Lead by Pilot Light Founders, Chefs Paul Kahan and Jason Hammel
- 11:15am “Apple Crunch” Commences
Students and Food Day guests will take a bite out of an apple for a collective Food Day celebration and commitment to real food. Apples donated by local, sustainable, Mick Klug Farm.
- 11:30am – 2pm Lunch with Chefs Paul Kahan & Jason Hammel featuring “Harvest Tacos” by Big Star, using ingredients sourced from the Gary Comer Youth Center garden
(Tacos will be sold for $4 with all proceeds going towards Pilot Light Foundation)
- Noon – 1pm Aquaponics Herb Growing Demonstration
Growing Healthy People offers lunch guests a behind the scenes look at the ultra-sustainable growing technique
- Special Food Day menu
Chicago Public Schools
- Farm to School based nutrition education
- Harvest events featuring cooking demonstrations by CPS Culinary students utilizing school garden produce
- Local farmer visits to schools
- Special Food Day menu at all 600 schools featuring local menu items